Bidvertiser

30 May 2010

Standing on the Shoulders of Giants

This evening I had the privilege of seeing Patti Labelle peform live here at the Jacksonville Jazz Festival.  Ms. Patti was wearing a baaaddd red dress and gave an outstanding performance as only a diva could.  At the same time, she proudly reminded the audience that she is "66 years young".  The crowd went wild and I could only shake my head in amazement.

As the sun faded and a welcome breeze embraced us, I was truly appreciative of the fact that I was witnessing a living legend.  It reminded me of when I saw James Brown perform back in 2005.  Performers like Ms. Patti, James Brown, and so many others, are giants.  I listen to the massive repetoire of music that they put out, and I am proud and yet humbled to dare call myself a writer/musician.  I realize that every time I pick up my pen to write another lyric or poem, I am standing on the shoulders of these legends.  I know that my words are not just entertainment, but a link, a part of the circle that joins past to present, ancestors to the future.  May that sacred circle always remain unbroken.

No comments:

Post a Comment