Bidvertiser

06 July 2010

Speaking up for Spoken Word

Today, I have to step aside from my usual blogs about music.  Today, I'm writing about poetry, my other love, which in many ways, is tied to my music writing.

When I was in school, writing poetry generally implied that you were either a)nerdy, b)weird, or c)all of the above.  I can proudly confess to falling into the "c" group. Then along came the movie Love Jones a few years ago, and suddenly, urban America discovered that poetry was kind of cool.  It was no longer about that nerdy, weird, shy kid sitting in a corner somewhere scribbling in a notebook.  No, you see, now it was spoken word.  It was Lorenz Tate seducing Nia Long.  It was cool people wearing leather jackets and jeans, working in record stores, hanging out in chill spots listening to jazz and neo-soul.

Whether you choose to call it poetry or spoken word, this thing with pen and paper has never been a fad for me.  I was that nerdy, weird, shy kid sitting in the corner.  I was writing poetry before it was cool, and I will be writing until I'm old and senile and shaking so bad that I can't hold a pen.  At one point in my life, when I was 'goin through some things' as we like to say, I gave up on my writing.  But it never gave up on me.  It was always there, nudging me, begging me, and finally screaming at me, to bring it back to light again.  Poetry brought me out of some rough spots, and I'm using it to lead me to better ones.  Poetry is the reason why I have never given up on hip-hop, despite the fact that in recent years, much of the genre has been held hostage by laughable lyrics, wannabe goons, and P. Diddy.  I can't help but appreciate the alliteration in Tupac's Gangstas Party or the raw lyricism of artists like Lil Wayne.  "I'll do the time cause her love is timeless."

I'm usually a behind the scenes person, so it's only recently that I've begun performing at open mic. It's been a great experience and I'm in awe of some of the talent that I have witnessed.  IGive, Cuban, along with his Shattered Thought team, Tonya Smart, Odd Rod, Reformed Butterfly, I could go on and on. We have a lot of talent here in Duval.  I say that over and over again in my blogs because I really believe in that.  And I have to send shout outs to the venues that are supporting spoken word like Cafe 331, Poppy Love Smoke, Aroma's, City Hall Pub and many more.  On that note, I must say hats off to Brother's Cafe on Edgewood, where I officially made my debut as The Poetic Princess, virgin on the mic.  Sadly, they closed up shop this past week.  I'm shaking my head at the thought of another black owned business going under.  But I hear that Robin is going to move Espresso Soul to Cuba Libre, so let's show some love and support that venue.

Without the hosts and promoters like Robin, Tiffany Duhart, Emanuel Washington (can somebody say Sooooooul Release!), Kia Mayshack, and many more, these open mic events wouldn't be happening.  There wouldn't be places for people to come out and test the waters and share a piece of themselves. We have to support these events.  We need to come together, Duval.  Stop complaining about there not being anything to do, but then not showing up to the quality events that are going on. If someone as naturally shy as me can come out-sometimes alone, and have the nerve to get up on the mic, then there's no excuse for some of you.  And when you do come out, do us all a favor and shut up while folks are spittin on the mic! That's a whole other blog post.

I might seem uncharacteristically harsh right now, but that's because I feel so strongly about poetry. Somedays, my poetry was the only warm hug that I had. I'm in a much better place now but poetry is still as important as eating and breathing to me.  So to all my spoken word artists, supporters, promoters, and venues, I say "rewind!" while snapping my fingers in the air.  Spit, Duval!

P.S. Come out tomorrow and check out open mic hosted by Kia Mayshack at Aroma's on Southside Blvd. Kia's a great host and she can sing her lungs out on top of it.

2 comments:

  1. Much love for putting spoken word in the minds and hearts of a different internet audience. We definitely appreciate the support from those who have the courage to come to the Mic each time we say the doors are open and also those who value the words that come from a poets mouth. Much love....Kia Mayshack

    ReplyDelete
  2. word, well said ... it's all 'bout the love of the art ...

    ReplyDelete